Sunday, March 13, 2016

Leaning Challenges: The Semicolon Project

This week, the learning challenge I chose to focus on was happiness/health. I read a column by the OU Daily guest columnist JD Baker on depression, stigma in mental illness, and finding strength. What I really loved was in the column, he explained the "Semicolon Project." The idea is that people who struggle with mental illness are not stopped by it - it may slow you down, but you can make it through! He talked about the OUr Mental Health organization, which strives to let every student know that what they are facing is temporary - and that there is help!

My story isn't over yet (Source)

For me, anxiety can be a real bummer in my life. On days that there are tests or big assignments, my friends will make a note that I seem "off" - and that's because I am. I do not feel myself. Usually, I am confident and happy-go-lucky. But when the anxiety sets in, I just feel lost. I feel like there is no way I could ever pass that test. I feel that every conversation I have is going to end in someone hating me. I feel off. Luckily, I sought counseling, and have learned ways to manage this anxiety. It did not stop me - it just made me pause.


No comments:

Post a Comment