Sunday, January 31, 2016

Growth Mindset: Handling Pressure

Exploring the growth mindset, I want to focus more on the journey than on the final destination. In doing so, I want to do growth challenges that will help me as an individual. I struggle on a daily basis with anxiety. Small things (like picking out a clothes for the day) can present a real challenge for me. On the other hand, big things (like tests - eek) can cause me to go into a real panic-mode. It is something I have been working on for about a year now, and I have really seen an improvement - but I can always use some helpful advice. I found this article, "How to be Calm Under Pressure", on the growth mindset challenge page, and just knew it would be the perfect thing for me to check out.

Keeping Calm When the Pressure Is On

What do you do if a problem arises and you just can't seem to handle the pressure? After reading this article I found out! 

First, ask yourself two questions:
1. What is the worst thing that could happen?
2. Will this matter in five years?

Answering these questions will help ground you, and put the situation into perspective. 

Next, understand that while this problem may be a big deal to you - it probably isn't that important to others. 

Now that you have calmed down about the situation, get to the facts:
1. What is the actual situation?
2. What could actually happen because of this?
3. What are your options in fixing the problem?
4. If the problem cannot be fixed, is there anything you can do to make it a little bit better?

Finally, enough worrying - take ACTION. You have made a game plan, and it is time to get to it! 

*          *          *

This was such a great challenge to go for.  I am a list person, and this was a really nice way to put what you should do when you are worrying about a mistake/problem into a condensed list. Being in a situation where I thought my mistake was the END OF THE WORLD, it is nice to be able to look at something like this and remember to just calm down and be LOGICAL about it. Sometimes I let my emotions take control, but being able to take a logical approach to my problems is the way to go! This challenge was definitely useful for classes and life in general. You can make mistakes just about anywhere in life...but keep calm and carry on!

Keep calm, it will all be okay! (Sharkyovengloves)


No comments:

Post a Comment