Sunday, January 24, 2016

Week 1: Famous Last Words


As the first week of the semester comes to an end, I would like to share some of my experiences in the form of my “famous last words”.

Epics of India:

This week, I began by creating my blog. Some of my favorite posts were my intro and my very first storytelling post. I really enjoyed getting to introduce myself to my classmates, although trying to sum up my life in one post was rather difficult. I also really liked getting to write a story based off of another story. I chose to write a modern version of The Peacock, which I thought really captured what life can be as a young woman. Overall, I am excited about getting to read and write more. In engineering, most of my papers are very technical; however, I am a very artistic person. Having the chance to explore more into my creative side (and get credit for it), is so much fun.

My other classes:

On the engineering side of things, I am taking three course: Production II, Improved Recovery, and Reservoir Management (capstone). My production course will focus on getting the oil from the wellhead to its final destination, whether that be a pipeline, tank, or whatever. While I will be focusing more on the drilling/reservoir side of things once I graduate, I enjoy learning about all aspects of the oil recovery process - so this class will be very interesting. My improved recovery course will focus on better ways to recover the oil from the ground, with a special focus on waterflooding, miscible floods, and thermal recovery. This is a great opportunity to get to learn about different types of recovery methods other than the well-known hydraulic fracturing. The third course, reservoir management, is my capstone course. I have been placed in a team of four and we have been given the assignment of evaluating a field in terms of economic potential. The “Capstone Conqueror’s” have chosen the Cleveland Play as our field. This will definitely be an exciting semester!

Outside of school:

In my free time, I haven’t been too productive this week. I have mostly been watching Netflix, playing embarrassing amounts of Sudoku, and planning my next quilling projects. I hope to finish up the Starry Night in the next couple of weeks, and then move on to an equally creative, but much less time-intensive project. The Starry Night has been a work in progress since last summer (I like to keep these things as hobbies, and not force myself to finish it – you lose creativity with deadlines). I would really like to do a galaxy/universe piece. A close friend really loves space, so I think making a small galaxy would be a great present for their birthday in February.
Here are my galaxy paintings I did over the winter break. I hope to do something like this in quilled form. 

That just about wraps up my first week of my LAST semester in college! With these famous last words, I bid you adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment