Monday, January 25, 2016

Week 2 Reading Diary: Narayan's Ramayana

Starting off the semester, I am reading Narayan's Ramayana (pp. 1-53).

Going through the reading, I made notes on points that caught my eye – things that were interesting, points that I didn’t like, and topics that I would like to write on. I broke this section into six main sections:

Prologue – King Dasharatha
We are introduced to the kingdom of Ayodhya, where King Dasharatha and his four sons (Rama, Bharatha, Lakshmana, and Sathrugna) live.

What I really enjoyed here was how despite the fact that the king lives in this beautiful kingdom, with palaces and riches, what he really want is a family. I think most people get caught up in the idea of “getting rich”, that they forget how rewarding a family can be. Dasharatha goes through so much – the yearlong sacrificial ritual – to obtain the silver plate that gives his wives the ability to have children. His love and dedication is really captivating.

Vishvamitra – Rama’s Initiation
In this section, Sage Vishvamitra wishes for Rama to go with him to battle with the demons around the sacred grounds.

After reading how much Dasharatha had to go through to get his four sons, you can really relate with how upset he gets with Vishvamitra’s request. I am especially interested in Rama’s journey (I plan on doing my storybook on Vishnu, and Rama is an avatar of Vishnu). I like how he has the compassion to pause before killing Thataka; he doesn’t like the idea of killing a woman.

Mahabali – Demons – Sakara
The epic then continues by telling the story of Mahabali and how Vishnu transforms into a dwarf in order to defeat him. I plan on using this in my storybook later on, but I also liked the message of how mighty things come in all sizes.

Ganga’s Story was also a really good piece, where we learn how the Ganga River came to be. An interesting piece was the quote “we attain a full understanding only when we are aware of the divine and other associations of every piece of ground we tread on.” I think this could be a good piece to bounce writing ideas off of.

Ahalya
We then learn of the beautiful Ahalya, and how - upon being tricked by the god Indra – was turned to stone by her husband.

I find it highly irritating that Guatama felt the right to turn his wife into stone. A GOD tricked her, so she was at no fault whatsoever. Furthermore, after she was freed from her stone state, I think it was ridiculous that she was expected to return to her husband. He most certainly does not deserve to get to be with her after his rash decision.

Sita
Upon entering Mithila, Rama and Sita immediately fall in love when they see one another (they are the incarnations of Vishnu and Lakshimi – SOULMATES).

That is where my good feelings for this section ENDS. It is absolutely ridiculous how Sita is portrayed as some silly damsel in distress. Somehow, she falls terribly ill and bad tempered after one look at Rama. THEN – her father had the audacity to make a competition for her hand in marriage. ***I would like to rewrite this piece and put it into a super-woman type of theme***

Rama’s Coronation and Exile
We end this portion of the reading by witnessing Rama get told he is to be king, then get told he is to be exiled for fourteen years (all in the same night).

Morale of this story: Kaikeyi is a shallow woman, whose desire for power overshadows her true loving nature. I am really disappointed in Dasharatha here – he should have stood up to his wife and demanded her be sensible. Ultimately, what I am finding it that these men make promises without thinking out all of the consequences (Sakara, Guatama, etc.).

This image depicts Dasaratha's grief over Rama being exiled. (Source: Image Library).  

No comments:

Post a Comment