Thursday, January 14, 2016

Storybook Favorites



The Himalayan Elephant

Topic:

I do not know much about elephants, but I am familiar with some stories about the Pandava brothers. The title indicated it was about an elephant, but I think it could have been a little more indicative towards an adventure of two brothers.

Introduction:

The intro tells us about two brothers who are craving adventure. They go to a shaman, whose stories inspires them to go out and find their very own tale. It made me want to know what kind of adventure they would go on: would they get into trouble like the shaman’s stories hinted at, or would they find this Himalayan elephant?

Design: 

I think a more creative background could have been chosen, and perhaps more interesting pictures. I really enjoyed the breakdown of the hike-climb-mysterious beast, and found that the overall story flowed well.
(“Elephant” by Alessandro Desantis from Unsplash Photos)

Epic Women Tell All

Topic:

Again, this is not a topic I am wholly familiar with – but, I do enjoy a good drama-filled TV show! The title could have been a little bit more clear in that is it a talk show (“The Real Live of Epic Indian Housewives”, perhaps), but I figured it out soon enough.

Introduction: 

The intro is very clear on explaining what the storybook is about. It really made me want to read the rest of the story (again, drama TV lover here), and was very creative in how it portrayed these epic women. I especially liked the addition of the commercial break inserts. It offered breaks in the story (which can be nice, instead of non-stop writing), as well as making it seem more realistic.

Design:

The physical layout of and intro with three other sections seems to be the trend, but I really liked how the three sections were divided into different interviews with the women. It made each section unique and intriguing. I think in my storybook I would prefer the three different sections to the elephant story that was just a continuation of the same story.


Vishnu’s Favorite Avatars

Topic:

I am actually somewhat familiar with Vishnu and his ten avatars (my personal favorite is the tortoise, because I love turtles). The title was very clear and to the point.

Introduction:

The intro had an interesting way of beginning the storybook. I liked how it was like a fireside story with Vishnu (like your grandpa telling you and old war story!). I also really liked how each of the “favorite” avatars were introduced in this section, so you have an idea of what to expect in the following sections.

Design:

Like the Epic Women storybook, I enjoyed how each of the three sections were essentially separate stories. I liked the overall design of this project, especially the color choice. The pictures selected were also really nice touches.



1 comment:

  1. Oh, you looked at a Vishnu Storybook, Morgan - that's great! As you can see, each person's Storybook about the avatars or about the epic women would be different from anybody else's because of the stories they choose and also the storytelling style. Sometimes people come up with really elaborate frametales of their own (like in the Himalayan Elephant), while others just have a very basic and simple frame, with the main focus being on the traditional stories. So, you now have a good idea of the different kinds of choices you will be thinking about when you brainstorm your own Storybook at the end of Week 2! :-)

    ReplyDelete