Friday, January 29, 2016

Project Topics

Project Topic Brainstorming

This semester I will be working on a project - either a storybook or a portfolio. I have already decided to go with a storybook, as I think that will allow me to do a little more research into the interesting beliefs found within Indian epics. I have found four main topics that interest me for my storybook, you can read about them below.

*          *          *

Karma


Weighing out free will and destiny cold be an interesting approach to a storybook.I would really like to find stories that show how much a tiny choice can have a big impact on things. I am a firm believer that the smallest of things (like the color of my shoes) can change how my day goes (did the job interviewer give me the job?). Exploring this cause/effect relationship could make for a very interesting project.

Karma refers to the spiritual principle of cause and effect, where the intent and actions of an indivisual influence the future of that individual (find more here). It is represented by the Endless Knot, see below. In Hinduism, it explains causality.


A picture of a stone from the Iron Age Fornsalen in Sweden, which depicts the endless knot. By Wolfgang Sauber

Maya


OOOHHH! This topic really seems interesting. Distinguishing between reality and illusion can be tricky. Some parts of the Ramayana easily prove to be illusion, but sometimes it is much harder. Learning more about Maya and then creating a storybook to teach others would be exciting.

Maya (illusion, magic), has many meanings in Indian philosophies. The word itself implies the role of imagination in the creation of the world (read more here). In Narada and the Illusion of Maya, Vishnu comments:
"The world is my Maya. He who accepts this, realizes me."
The idea of Maya is illustrated with Narada's illusion of a beautiful woman who agrees to be is wife and have his children - it turns out that it was all made up by Vishnu. 

A depiction of Maya, the mirror of illusions. By Arthur Bowen Davies.

Dharma


The Dharmachakra, and the idea of Dharma in general, seems like an interesting topic. I think finding stories that were difficult to judge whether Dharma was added or diminished could be fun.

Spoiler! For example, when Rama kills they monkey king giant dude with an arrow. Rama could have attempted to find peace with the situation. He could have easily have gone to the brother and explained the situation. Why would he just kill someone without first attempting a peaceful end?
Dharma is many things to different religions, but the overall gist is that it is the behavior of an individual which may be good or bad. It can represent law and justice, as well as virtues. More can be found here. In Hunduism, it is described as "the natural universal laws whose observance enables humans to e contented and happy..." (About Religion). The dharmachakra is one of the ashtamangala (a sacred suite of Eight Auspicious Signs) of Indian religions, which represents Dharma - see picture below.


A representation of the Dharmacakra in Sun Temple, Orissa. (Source)

Vishnu


I would like to explore the possibility of new avatars. Each avatar comes into the world with a purpose. So, I would like to give a brief summary of each avatar and their purpose, have a timeline, and then add on to it. Could Vishnu come back in modern times? What would his avatar be? What about in recent history (WWI, Civil War, etc.)?

Vishnu is one of the three main gods in the "trimurti" in Hinduism. More details on him can be found here. He has ten avatars, which were descended for very specific purposes (in-depth description). Also, I could explore into Vaishnavism - one of the main branches of Hinduism (I really, really love learning about religions/philosophies). 

Here is a depiction of Vishnu. (Source)

*          *          *

Topic Choice

After doing my research, it really feels like I could do something combining all of these in some sort of way. While doing the research on Dharma, I came across the Ashtamangala (eight auspicious signs of religions). I thought perhaps I could pick some of "Vishnu's favorites". In sacred Hindu texts, Vishnu is depicted with four arms holding a lotus flower, mace, conch, and disc. Perhaps, I could elaborate and make a story for each of these in relation to an Ashtamangala: lotus, conch, dharmacakra, and the dhvaja.  

No comments:

Post a Comment