Sunday, January 31, 2016

Learning Challenge: Buddhist Teachings

In week one, I outlined some of the learning challenges I would like to do. For this week, I am going to start with a health/happiness challenge. I had said I wanted to study some of the life lessons from Buddhist teachings, and so I studied some and wrote about my favorites (find the article I read here).

Vital Life Lessons from Buddhist Teachings

Give generously to others

     "If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path."

I think this really touches me, because I try very hard to give a little bit of myself to those around me. I have been dealt a difficult hand, but compared to others I have had it very good. You never know what someone is going through, so just offer up an open heart - you just might get something extraordinary in return.  

Release feelings of hate, resentment, and fear

     "You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger."

Being able to move past negative feelings can be very difficult for me. I have a hard time with the whole forgive/forget mindset. However, it is becoming more apparent that the only one suffering from this negativity is me. I am trying to move on from things, and the more I move towards positivity, the more I gain a freeing happiness. It is really amazing how down those bad feelings can get you.

Be here now

     "The past is already gone, the future is not yet here. There's only one moment for you to live."

This quote always makes me think of what my boyfriend is constantly telling me - don't worry about the what if's. I have a bad habit of wondering about the many, many different possibilities out there, yet it doesn't really matter. Worrying will get you nowhere, you need to ACT in the now. I have tried being more focused in there here and now, and it is really beneficial. It also makes you think a little more about what you do with your present time - is it worth it? are you happy right now? is there something more worthwhile that you could be doing instead?

*          *          *

I think going over these Buddhist teachings was very helpful to just reiterate what is important in life. When choosing a humanity class to take, I didn't want one that I wasn't going to enjoy - and I am so glad I chose this course. I am getting to explore more than just Indian epics. I think these teachings will be helpful in this class, as well as my other classes. I can apply this lesson from being willing to share notes or tutor classmates, to not focusing too much on the final and actually enjoying the class.

Learn to enjoy the journey! (Bright Side)


No comments:

Post a Comment