Monday, February 8, 2016

Learning Challenge: Paying Attention

This week was my "attention" learning challenge week. I wanted to find something that would allow me to focus a little bit better. I came across the article "9 Things You'll Notice After Meditating For Just 1 Minute." This appealed to me for a couple of reasons: I love lists, and I can hop on board with anything that only takes a minute.

A man doing meditation in Rose Valley. (Source: Moyan Brenn)

Minute Meditation


Proposed Benefits:

The author posed that they noticed nine things after meditating for one minute. 
1. Able to stay in the moment.
2. Send of smell was stronger.
3. Less worried about to-do list.
4. More aware of what they were eating.
5. Had time to reflect.
6. Noticed their breath.
7. Didn't think about their phone.
8. Sat up straighter.
9. Felt content.

Benefits I Noticed:

So, some of these things seemed likely to happen. But some...not so much. I was on a mission to try this one minute meditation, and I noticed some of my own benefits. 

1. I did feel like I was better at being able to stay in the moment. I think with the hustle and bustle of the day, it is easy to constantly be thinking of what's next. Taking time to just be in the now was really nice, and I noticed that throughout the day I was also able to focus on the present more.
2. This kind of goes with the first part, but I was able to stop worrying about my to-do list. In class, I look at my to-do list at least ten times. After meditating, however, I was able to just chill out and focus on the class.
3. I definitely enjoyed reflecting during my meditation time. I used it as a time to think about what I needed to do today and what I had accomplished so far.

To Be Continued?

Well, as you can see, meditation isn't some super-power. It doesn't offer the same benefits to every person. However, I think it does offer up some time that you specifically put aside to relax, reflect, and refine. I think meditating for a minute or two most certainly offers up the benefit of added focus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment