Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Week 5 Reading Diary: Narayan's Mahabhata

This week I began reading the Mahabharata by Narayan. So far, the Pandavas have barely escaped the treachery of their cousins. While in hiding they get married to Draupadi - yes, all five brothers share a wife. It is actually a very easy read - quick and fun! You can never be sure where the plot line is headed, so I am enjoying the book so far! Here are my thoughts are the first four chapters:

*          *          *

The Eighth Baby


“One day while hunting…” – this is a common lead-in for this chapter. It is where Santanyu met his two wives, and where Pandu was cursed. I think going into depth on the hunting trips could be an interesting story. What happened on the way, where they hunting for sport or food?

I found the situation with Ganga to be extremely odd: wouldn’t Santanyu stop her at the first baby? I get her part (as much as anyone could possibly understand a celestial deity), but why would he not stop the death of his children? Is there a separation from fathers and their children? Maybe he was in shock?

I liked the part where is say The Mahabharata “may be said to begin with these three personalities.” These three brothers are so different in their attributes, and I am interested to see how those differences play out in the rest of the story.

The Pandavas versus their cousins…an interesting beginning to the story. Naturally, there will be a fight for the throne. 


Enter – The Players


I see how silly, childish teasing can turn into serious, adult feelings. I wonder how things would have turned out if Bhima wasn’t so mean to Duryodhana. I couldn’t believe how eager Duryodhana was to have Karna beat Arjuna – he is really filled with anger and jealousy. And why is he so quick to crown him, when that could very well take away his own crown?

Again with the protagonist making promises without asking what they are promising – they agree to go capture this King Drupada without any explanation. It is absolutely ridiculous. Although, Drona’s story about how rude Drupada was does make me think it is a worthy task.


House of Joy – And Ashes


I really couldn’t believe how jealous Dhritarashtra had become, but the quote “Panic has made him crafty,” gave a look into his mind. He was being driven mad with fear of not being a leader! Panic will make being do really crazy things, and plotting to set the Pandavas on fire was definitely crazy.

Vidura is a man to be admired! He risked being caught by warning Yudhishthira, which could have been bad. I liked how they spoke in code – it makes me think of the codes between soldiers!


Bride for Five


I like the older-brother quality of Bhima. He is the family protector! The message that being patient and waiting for good to come to you is important. I can really feel that in my life: the oil market is awful, but as long as I am patient things will turn around!

I really admire the family for wanting to protect one another from Baka, the rakshasa. I could see my own sister volunteering to do something awful so that I wouldn’t have to, and I would do the same for her. However, the notion of all going to their death so no one would have to grieve is ridiculous. I love how Bhima conquers Baka with so much ease!

As in the Ramayana, there is a competition to win a wife – Draupadi. I really like her spunk – she rejects Karna!! Duryodhana’s remark was especially vile though – she had no “right” to speak. Gee. She has no right to who she marries.

Here is a depiction of the Pandavas brothers and Draupadi. (Source: Raja Ravi Varma)

No comments:

Post a Comment