Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Thoughts about Comments

After reading over the comments I received on my posts, I had some favorites. One comment had some nice feedback: the reader liked the details in the story and the layout of the tale. I had actually been told in a previous comment to add more pictures or break paragraphs up a bit more, so I am happy to see that my changes were noticed!

Another thing I liked was getting feedback on minor errors (spelling, punctuation, etc.). Sometimes, no matter how many times you read over a story, you can’t catch your own mistakes. The readers who pointed it out did so in a kind way – not at all mean! I think constructive criticism is VERY helpful!

Another one of my favorite comments had something about explaining a little more why I chose to go in a certain direction with my story (“However I wonder what was the idea behind adding the part where Rama destroys the bow?” – S. Singh). This made me think about making sure that my thought process was clearly defined in the Author’s Note at the end of the story. To me the reasoning might be obvious (I wanted to show that he was super strong and worthy of being Sita’s husband), but to the reader it might not be.

Overall, my favorite comments each have a nice aspect to them, and then something with true depth. I love hearing how great my stories are (don’t we all?), but I want to improve as a writer. Having those little tidbits of guidance really help for the next story!

In my comments, I try and be very supportive. I like to tell the author what I loved about their story, and then let them know a different approach that could have been used. For example, sometimes I think the author could explore a storyline a bit more, so I tell them an interesting direction they could take it. I think these pointers help when you are brainstorming for your next storytelling ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment