Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Week 5 Reading Diary cont: Narayan's Mahabharata

This is the second part of my reading diary for the Mahabharata by Narayan.


*          *          *


Uncle’s Gift


I find it sad how Dhritarashtra must show his love for his sons by hating his nephews. It is also disheartening to see him struggle so much with holding his own opinion. He is being pulled in all directions, and that is bound to have a bad ending.

I think it is great how the Pandavas create an amazing city out of a desert! I am also really interested in seeing how Krishna plays a role in this story – maybe I can use it as inspiration for my storybook!


City of Splendor


Sakuni mentioned how the Pandavas were doing so well because of the grace og the gods and hard work, and I think many people can appreciate that statement. Not everything is handed to you – you have to work for it! Duryodhana seems to just want power handed to him on a silver platter, which just doesn’t happen.

I kind of like the idea of not beating someone with fighting, but with wit. Knowing Yudhishthira’s weakness, they are playing up to their strengths. While I don’t agree with their end game, I can appreciate their tactics!


Stakes Unmatched


Ah. Yudhishthira really disappointed me here. The “gambler’s frenzy” could have been prevented had he just said no in the first place. And then, to gamble off all his riches, his brothers, himself, and then his WIFE!

I was happy to see at least one man stand up for Draupadi – Vikarna showed great valor. He tried standing up for what was right…event though he was quickly dismissed. Also, I am happy that Krishna (Vishnu) came to Draupadi’s rescue!

To make matters worse….Yudhishthira gambled AGAIN. And yet again, he lost EVERYTHING. Now the Pandavas must wander in exile for twelve years. At any point, did any of the other Pandavas think to stand up to Yudhishthira?


Wanderings


At least Yudhishthira felt remorse. I am glad he at least understood that what he did was wrong…even though I’m not sure if he learned his lesson. I did not think it was appropriate for the Sun God to make Draupadi carry the magic vessel…why should she have to suffer more? Why don’t these Indian women stand up for themselves? These men are complete shit, and I wouldn’t stay with them for a minute. She is treated like property, she was humiliated in front of everyone – she should say GOOD RIDENS!

I find it interesting that these Kauravas are so bloodthirsty. Why are they so jealous of their cousins?

I find that being blunt about things is best when you are in a disagreement with someone. Let it all out, and then go on from there. Draupadi finally spoke her mind, and it was incredible. Her husbands let her down, especially Yudhishthira. He claims to be so virtuous, but he gambled. This lapse in judgement cost their family a lot, and I am glad they finally confronted Yudhishthira about it. He needed to understand how they all felt.


Hundred Questions


Oh geez, the Pandava brothers are at it again. They just cannot bear to listen can they? “Don’t drink the water,” says a creepy voice. “I’ll drink the water if I want to,” says the arrogant Pandava brother. At least Yudhishthira has learned his lesson and found some principles.

I enjoyed thinking of each of these guys dressing up in costumes to hide out in the kingdom. Bhima being a cook was by far the funniest picture!

 
A depiction of the dice game played, where Draupadi is humiliated. (Source: Wikimedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment