Saturday, February 27, 2016

Learning Challenge: Time and Checklists

For this week, I wanted to do a learning challenge focused on time management. I am pretty good with planners/to-do lists/goal setting/etc. but I am always looking for a way to be more efficient with my time. This week I read an article on checklists (read it here). It explains why small goals can actually help motivate us to accomplish BIG things.


First, when making a checklist, set real, small goals. The author of the article calls them "SMART" goals.
- Specific
- Measureable
- Attainable
- Realistic
- Time-bound

You need to be able to achieve these goals in the short-term aspect of the bigger goal.

The reason behind why this works? Dopamine - a chemical in our brain connected to good, positive feelings. It motivates us to continue doing those tasks (if something makes you feel good, you will want to keep doing that thing).

Personally, my desktop is filled with sticky-notes of checklists. I love organizing my life by class, assignment, outside of class, etc. You can see these lovely, color-coded, sticky notes below:

My desktop - lots of checklists! 



No comments:

Post a Comment