Monday, February 8, 2016

Week 4: Reading Diary cont: Sita Sings the Blues

This is my reading diary for the second half of Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley.

This second half was completely new to me - it was not in Narayan's Ramayana. In the final half, we find that Sita has become pregnant. Rama, still doubts his wife, so he has her be abandoned in a forest (while pregnant). In the end, he asks for her to prove her purity again - which she does by asking Mother Earth to take her back into the womb (kill herself).

Sita singing the blues after being abandoned in a forest. (Fred Miller)

Sita/Rama

The more I read about Rama, the more I dislike him. He was a grade A jerk in this story. He abandons his pregnant wife, even after she did a fire test. However, it starts from Sita's father making her believe she was an object to be won, an object owned by men. In her mind, Rama owns her. And she is crushed when her owner casts her out. One of the lines in the boy's song was "always right, never wrong" when describing Rama, which saddens me to think that they grew up thinking that Sita deserved to be treated in such a horrible manner. That is a prime example of how abuse/disrespect is passed on from parent to child.


Nina/Dave

I thought it was very sad how Dave broke up with Nina. I just wanted to let her know that it was okay, and that the stupid oaf didn't deserve her. I was so happy in the end when she got a new cat and started her project. I think you get in a rut sometimes (especially when your "plan" doesn't work out), but we need to learn to keep going. You cannot get stuck on the minor details: love yourself and the rest will come.


Narrators

I thought that the most intriguing part of the narrators storyline was when the debated Sita's devotion to Rama (1:07). One of them was claiming that her devotion was because of her unconditional love for Rama. Another narrator, though, thought that perhaps she had some personal problems that she needed to solve. I side with the second opinion, as she clearly was OBSESSED with Rama - which is very unhealthy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment