Monday, February 8, 2016

Storytelling for Week 4: Ravana's Perspective

Hello everyone, its Ravana speaking. I would just like to set the story straight about the so-called kidnapping of Sita

Ravana, the Demon-King of Lanka. (Source: Wikimedia)

As you all know, my sister came to me and told me I should take Sita for myself. What you don’t know, is that she has whispered in one of my twenty ears that Rama was a rotten husband to Sita. He didn’t give her the love she deserved, and he sure didn’t respect her. In fact, he claimed her to be his “trophy wife”, since he had won her from a challenge.

Before this, I gained my mighty strength by worshipping the gods. I was devout, and I was willing to pray for days. Although I had this strength, I wanted to use it for good. So when my sister told me how poorly Sita was being treated, I knew she needed my help.

So, I sent out the fake golden deer to distract Rama while I went to retrieve Sita. The story usually says that I snuck into the house, but what really happened was I just went straight up to the door and knocked. Sita, being the timid woman she is cracked the door and inquired why I was there. I told her that I knew about her situation with Rama, and that I wanted to help her.

She said the only way she knew that I could save her would be to fake a kidnapping. And so, I snatched her up and took her to my chariot, while she yelled out her phony cries for help. Once we were a good distance away, she remembered that her jewelry had special tracking capabilities, so she hurried and threw it onto the ground. 

Ravana talking to Sita by her tree. (Source: Wikimedia)

Finally, we made it to Lanka. I set her up with her own home, making sure it had a beautiful shade tree for her to meditate under. She never knew what it was like to have her own things, for Rama had never allowed it.

She really seemed to enjoy herself – she even began to sing a melodious tune. I saw to it that she was outfitted in only the finest of silks, and that no one bothered her during her meditation time. All was perfect, until that horrible day when my scouts told me that Rama was hunting for Sita.

I debated with myself for days on whether I should tell Sita that her mean husband was coming to take her back. Ultimately, I knew that if I truly respected her, I would tell her all the information I knew. She took it well, considering all the distress he had caused her. I told her I would do all that I could to make for sure she was safe.

I readied my armies, and sent out additional scouts to monitor Rama’s advance. In the back of my mind, I knew I could never kill him though – Sita truly loved her husband, even if he was rude. So I tried to persuade him to just leave her with me. He wouldn’t even listen to my pleas. And so, he came to Lanka and took Sita back. 

Rama and Ravana battling. (Source: Wikimedia)

While I now live among the gods, Rama continues to smear my name with his false truths. I am happy to have been able to tell you my side, and I hope you consider it when you read stories like the Ramayana.

*          *          *

Author's Note:
I was inspired to write this story after watching the film "Sita Sings the Blues". In it, the narrators talk about how Ravana was kind of a "good villain". Additionally, Rama treats Sita very poorly in the film, by making her prove her purity not only once - BUT TWICE. And so, I thought writing a story where Sita wanted to run away from Rama with Ravana's help would be an interesting twist. 

Bibliography:
"Sita Sings the Blues" by Nina Paley (2008). Web.
Source: YouTube

3 comments:

  1. Morgan,

    I like how you choose the perspective of the villain for your story. I had never considered that Ravana had been manipulated into kidnapping Sita. Also, I never would have guessed that Sita would go willingly when Rama arrived. Overall, this was a great twist of the traditional Ramayana story. I look forward to reading more from you soon.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again, Morgan!
    I really liked that you took Ravana’s perspective for your retelling. I haven’t actually see anyone else do this yet, and I loved the way it turned out! As I read the Ramayana, I wasn’t super happy with Rama’s treatment of Sita, so I really appreciated this take on their story. Ravana doesn’t seem to be an overtly terrible guy, and I loved that you really made him a likable character. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't watch the film so I found it interesting that Ravana is portrayed as a good villain. I love your take on it. It was also powerful that it was done from Ravana's perspective. Sita running away instead of being kidnapped is not a perspective I even considered. My stories have been about the love between Rama and Sita, but you make a great point. Rama does make Sita prove her innocence and eventually banished her. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete